Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Oatmeal Pancakes

I have to admit, historically I have loved pancakes.  Not the trashy IHOP version - I mean hearty, tasty, moist, delicious pancakes with real, REAL maple syrup.

I don't even want to hear from people trying to convince me that Aunt Jemima colored corn syrup crap is maple syrup.  That stuff is toxic and disgusting.  And yes, I'm judging you on that!

I've been a maple syrup purist since birth, and I am relentless on conversion.  I even went to a maple syrup festival in northern Vermont (up near Montreal) a couple years ago... (and chased it down with a trip to Ben and Jerry's - clearly in my pre-vegan days!)

I knew I wanted to find a good vehicle for the maple syrup consumption I plan on maintaining.  It's tasty in oatmeal but I don't always feel like a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.

So I found a great basic recipe from FatFreeVegan.com and tried it out last night...

Mix together in a medium bowl:
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon

Beat in:
1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk

Cook in hot pan.

This was the basic recipe - I added a pinch of salt (prob should make it 2 pinches), and a pinch of sugar (may try it with agave next time).  And I doubled the cinnamon (cause I'm a rebel).  And it's actually quite tasty!!  Tasty, hearty, yummy with maple syrup and totally adaptable....

Mine came out a little thicker since I like them that way...  and trust me, they're delicious.


I will be experimenting over the next couple weeks with some other things:
  • Topping with fruit
  • Adding a little more sweet into the batter (honey, agave)
  • Adding dried fruits into the batter (raisins, cranberries, blueberries)
  • Trying other flours (buckwheat, oat flour, quinoa flour)
  • Mixing in some powered cacao... (yuummmmm)


No comments:

Post a Comment