Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Back on track

So after my 20 miles Walk for Hunger on Sunday (after which I was sufficiently hungry!), I am now recommitted to health and wellness!  In that light, I made a delicious pasta dish last night - this is my basic, go-to meal, for a number of reasons.  It's uber-healthy, chock-full of veggies, filling, super quick to make, and is one of my favorite things to eat.

I have a bunch of frozen veggies ready to go whenever, so this makes it easy.  I basically boil water to cook whole wheat pasta (I went with rotini last night).  While that's cooking I heat up the sauce:

- Muir Glen portabello mushroom sauce (oil free, yeay!)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- Chopped garlic
- Pureed roasted red peppers
- Pureed cherry peppers
- Frozen veggies: last night I used kale, broccoli, onion, peas
- Nutritional yeast

Other things I typically throw in, but didn't have on hand:
- Carrots
- Artichokes
- Basil
- Mushrooms
- Corn
- Asparagus
- Peppers
- Snap peas
- Green onions

I love that you can throw pretty much anything in there.  I try to cram as much greens in there as possible.  And the more hearty a sauce, the less of the pasta I eat, so it's win-win!  With a thin sauce, I've been known (in the past) to eat probably more than half a bag of pasta in one sitting, and still not be really satisfied.  This way, the veggies take up a huge volume, so by the time it has digested a little, I've realized I'm full.  This time, the pound of pasta will last me easily 4 meals.  Much much much better.

And I only do the 100% whole wheat pasta.

Yes, this could have been obvious to me, but no, it wasn't....

Tonight I cook lentils!  Also a huge personal favorite :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment