Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Apparently anise is a vegetable

Now that I actually do try cooking things a lot more myself, I'm feeling more adventurous in the grocery stores.  And feeling empowered to actually try things out.  After spending the weekend in RI, I'm armed with a couple new things to try!

My mother made some roasted anise the other night.  I have to admit, I never really knew it was a vegetable.  I knew it was a delicious scent in the North End.  I knew that concentrated, it tasted like licorice (blech).  And I knew that there was a liquor that made me gag when tasting it.

But I didn't know it was delicious roasted up with some salt, pepper, lemon, garlic and vinegar!

Seriously it was delicious... I'm not even totally jealous that some people got to have my favorite hot oil & stinger pizza.  Not even a little jealous.

(OK maybe a little.)

But honestly, this was really good.  My mother pointed out that I should be able to replicate it, since I saw how easy it was to do.  I pointed out that everything looks easy when I get to watch someone else do it.  The trouble comes when I try to replicate it.

Big difference.

But I'll test it out tonight.  Worst case scenario, I test out the smoke alarms (again) and my neighbors deal with the smell of burnt anise.  It's bound to be better than the "plants" they're "burning"...

No comments:

Post a Comment