Friday, May 4, 2012

Quatro de Mayo

I didn't really feel like cooking much last night, but I was definitely hungry... so I debated with myself back and forth... did I want to order in, or suck it up and make something? 

Reason took over, thankfully, and I cooked up something quick.  And fairly delicious!  In thinking about it, we'll say it was a nod to Cinco de Mayo, since it was Mexican-inspired.

I had picked up some ready made corn tortillas. (These are soft - not tortilla chips.)  If you've never used these before, I highly HIGHLY recommend them.  They're made with 3 ingredients: corn, water, lime, and so soooo much better for you than the flour ones).  I had made my own a number of times when I lived in Mexico - and they even passed the very high quality test I was put through :-)  But I didn't feel like making my own last night, and these are cheap and so easy.  You can find them in pretty much most grocery stores. 

I used a can of fat-free refried black beans - the pinto ones are also good, but I was in the mood for black beans.  I heated up the beans in a pot on the stove with chopped onion, garlic, and a little vegetable broth.  That's it.  As that cooked, I warmed up a couple tortillas on an ungreased pan (turn the heat up high, put the tortilla on there for about 10 seconds or so, until it puffs a bit.  Flip it, another 10 seconds, done.)

I spread some beans in each tortilla, topped with some fresh cilantro and some store-bought salsa, and dinner was ready.  Under 10 min, delicious, healthy.

I used to make my own (super authentic) salsa, but again, I wasn't in the mood.  This totally passed.

No pics of it today - I was feeling a bit lazy.  But it's delicious and you'll see them soon since I plan to make more of them in the very near future.

Especially since I have quite a lot of the bean mixture left, and plenty of tortillas left.  I definitely am going to make my own salsa though.  It gave me such a flashback to making these (at the ungodly hour of 6am) in my kitchen in Mexico, to bring them to work and be judged...

No comments:

Post a Comment