Friday, May 18, 2012

Hummus Me Please

Why did I spend so much money buying hummus all these years???  I mean, even in the height of laziness, I could have made a delicious one in less time than it takes to pick it up in the display, bring it to the cash register, and pay for it.

And yet I bought tubs of it.  For years.  And years.  And years.

The kicker is, I added my own flavorings to the ones I got anyway!!  I pretty much add the crushed hot cherry pepper relish to most things anyway (wow, my mouth just totally salivated at the thought.) 

So I made my own hummus last weekend, and have been enjoying it all week.  It's SO much easier than buying it, SO much cheaper, SO much tastier, and SO much healthier!

I made mine with white beans this time.  Just cause I had them.  And the can in my cupboard was in front of the can of chickpeas.  (See aforementioned laziness.)

Rinsed one can of white (cannellini) beans.  (That's the literally hardest step.)  Then I blended them up with:
- Lemon juice
- 1 spoon of tahini
- roasted red pepper
- crushed hot cherry pepper
- minced garlic
- onion
- salt
- pepper
- cumin

Seriously, it's so freaking good - with pretzel chips, tortilla chips, on sandwhiches, on a spoon....  And better than any hummus I've bought.  Even better than our lemon hummus!  ;)    And you can add whatever spices or veggies you want!  Parsely (sage, rosemary, and thyme.... had to do that!), basil, crushed red pepper, oregano, mushrooms, scallions....

You end up with a huge amount (I've been snacking on it all week), and it's about 1/8th the cost of a tub of hummus from the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment