Monday, May 14, 2012

So after eating (and LOVING) my lentils last week, I decided to try another recipe of them this week.  I pretty much love everything about lentils, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

And it didn't.

I made a delicious lentil dish this weekend, and will be enjoying it over the next couple days.  My friend had sent me a recipe to try, and I of course modified it a little to suit what I felt like eating (and to suit what I actually HAD in the cupboards)...  I used:

Onion
Minced garlic
Crushed red cherry pepper
Red lentils
Vegetable broth
White wine
Diced red potatoes
Kale
Lemon zest
Lemon juice
Chopped mint
Frozen veggies
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

(I have no idea what measurements I used, since I don't really cook that way...)

I sauteed the onion, garlic, and crushed red cherry pepper in vegetable broth and white wine, then added the lentils, broth and potatoes.  I boiled and simmered that for about a half hour then pureed it.  (Already smelled delicious!)  Then I added the greens, lemon zest, lemon juice, mint, and frozen veggies (I think I threw in chopped peppers and green beans).  Added salt and pepper and enjoyed!

It's very similar to mulligatawny soup - which I know isn't authentic, etc etc etc but it's DELICIOUS and I'm OK with that.

I really thought I'd miss dairy... I never saw being able to get rid of that as something I'd be able to do.  But ever since I had that adverse reaction to Rita's italian ice/custard (that stuff is freaking deadly - seriously, avoid it!  And thank me with something pretty :), I really haven't had a strong desire to add that back in my daily lifestyle in any real way.  I know I've bent a couple times, but I haven't enjoyed the repercussions, so I think I'm good for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment