Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Eating out doesn't have to be difficult

I have really enjoyed being back in the kitchen, cooking the vast majority of my meals.  But I don't always feel like cooking, and there is also the social aspect of going out to eat.

Both of those hit today.  A friend of mine at work and I decided to go out to eat for lunch.  She works on the other side of campus, so I don't usually see her on a daily basis.  We used to commute in together though before I moved across town, but it's been a while.

So as lunchtime approached, I tried to think of what I wanted for lunch and where I wanted to go.  There are actually a lot more options for plant-based / vegan friendly food than I would have otherwise considered.  I always knew Asian restaurants would be an easy pick since they are flush with options.  But there are other choices as well.

I was recently pleasantly surprised with Americana Mexican restaurants.  If you pick the right chain, there are some great choices!  I steer clear of the enchiladas and head to the veggie fajita platter.  Grilled veggies (esp when it's more than just peppers and onions - I love the ones that come also with cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms etc), sides of salsa, guacamole and beans, all in a couple corn tortillas.  Delicious and filling...

So fast forward to this afternoon... We didn't want to spend a ton of time out, so we went with Panera.  I love Panera and by ordering correctly, I can get a delicious lunch.  I went with a half Mediterranean sandwich on whole grain bread with no cheese, and a half Greek salad (also without the cheese).  Satisfying without filling me up, and I didn't feel like I was compromising my lunch!

Dinner tonight will be a smorgasbord of leftovers.  I have enough leftovers to piece together one globally-inspired meal!  (Indian lentils, Chinese Brussels sprouts, Peruvian quinoa, Californian wine, Italian tomatoes).

No comments:

Post a Comment