Thursday, March 29, 2012

My road to perfect health is apparently paved with oats

On this new health trip I'm on, I'm learning every day about how I feel when I eat certain things. How each decision impacts the next decision. And I've learned that I make significantly better decisions during the day when I start with a large bowl of oatmeal.

I don't know if that's psychosomatic or not, but I don't think it matters. When I eat oatmeal in the morning, I am not craving a huge lunch, which means I make smart decisions for that meal and that translates into a smart, healthy dinner.

Maybe it's really just that easy?

I didn't have oatmeal yesterday for breakfast. I had a full-day training session at work and decided to start my morning with a two pieces of toasted Ezekiel sprouted grain cinnamon raisin bread with some almond butter and a little honey.

The bread is delicious, and will stay in my food plan, so to speak, but not for breakfast. Because I was very hungry for lunch. I had requested a vegan meal for the training session and they provided a great salad (with meaningful veggies - not just a bowl of iceberg lettuce with a couple small tomatoes). But I also took a half sandwich made on ciabatta and sraped the meat & cheese off. And I took a handful (about 10-15) of tortilla chips.

(See above note: perfectly IMPerfect.)

Was it the best decision? No. Was it the worst? No. I didn't have the cookies that were there, I didn't eat the cheese, I didn't go back for more bread or chips. But I thought about all those things, and I'd like to avoid that right now.

I was exhausted last night - fully drained from this freaking virus. So I had some leftover pasta and fell sound asleep by 7pm. The pasta certainly added to the carb count, but it was significantly more sauce & veggies than pasta, and I'm happy about that.

Today is back on track. The sleeping helped for sure and I'm hoping another day of rest and relaxation will kill whatever it is that's beating me up. (I'm pretty sure it's allergies.) I had a large bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, with a nice cup of tea. I'm going to make sure I'm veggie-high at lunch and I'm making some applesauce for dinner and a large salad of kale and white beans. I'm going to beat these allergies one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment