Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Should have stopped with the first leche

OK last week was interesting. I was miserable during the week here, but maintained a happy vegan diet. But then the weekend hit. I was in FL with a friend of mine, and my parents met us for a couple days as well. I was mostly OK but am learning that I'm so easily influenced by others!

My friends are primarily vegetarian. This isn't something I've solicited deliberately - it just kind of happened, and it's been great. Actually, there have been no issues with my carnivorous friends either. I like to be with open-minded people one way or the other.

So out for the weekend with my veggie friend, I did feel the desire to try a couple things - I had a couple bites of a Rita's Frozen Custard. I don't know if it's because I hadn't had dairy in 6 weeks, but while it tasted nice at first, my mouth felt coated with some weird layer afterwards. And I felt terrible. Originally I had thought about bending every now and then for ice cream, and I still will be OK with that, but I'm starting to think I won't even want it.

I had a veggie corn dog. Yes, they exist! And I'll admit, it was delicious. Although a lot of that comes from the sheer oxymoron. But since it contains egg whites, it's not strictly vegetarian. I think this is something I may try from time to time, as a little treat. We'll see. It's still more processed than I'd prefer for a daily staple.

And we split a piece of tres leche cake. Because ONE leche was clearly insufficient. I felt as sick as I had after the frozen custard. I'm starting to fully understand the lactose impact. Which is weird since I used to have skim milk in my decaf every morning and thought I felt fine!

It's weird - you think everything is great and then you find a different way that you didn't even know existed, and it makes the previous status quo completely unacceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment