Thursday, April 19, 2012

CHILI DAY!!!!!

It's Chili Day at work today! I can't even believe it's finally here again... truly the best day of the year.

Which makes my work sound sad.

But it's a very intense, high-spirited annual chili contest that we have here. There are over 30 contestants this year, and I'm looking to at LEAST place, and hoping to win!

Last year I came in second, and while that was a decent showing, I'm looking to beat it this time. I'm up against all types of chilis - most of which are carnivorous. And there are NO indications whether it's veggie or not, so it's a fair competition.

(As a plant-based eater, I do get told which chilis I can sample, but the mass population doesn't know.)

I can't say that I truly have a "recipe" so to speak... I've been asked before, and my answer is usually "any veggies I have, crushed tomatoes, sometimes a textured soy protein, a mixture of beans, and any spices I may feel like at the time".

This time, since I want to win, I dialed down the spice level a little (still getting a firey red chili pepper classification, but it won't kill you). I also used a veggie crumble that has a little sausage-like flavor that will certainly appeal to the carnivores.

I wouldn't call this a recipe, so to speak, but this is kind of what I did:
Colleen's "Chili Chili Bang Bang"


- veggie soy crumble
- veggie soy-sausage crumble
- red wine (sautéd things in it)
- balsamic vinegar
- worchestershire sauce
- salt
- pepper
- onions
- minced garlic
- frozen veggies (carrots, corn, peas)
- frozen broccoli
- black beans
- kidney beans
- cannelini beans
- crushed tomatoes
- diced tomatoes
- cumin, chili powder, fennel, cinnamon
- cilantro
- crushed hot cherry peppers (it's amaaaazing and I put it in everything)
- White truffle balsamic glace (a nwer thing I found, also amaaaaazing, and also goes on everything)

Chili is simmering away and I'm crossing my fingers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment